Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Starbucks

I've been a regular to starbucks this year. Sitting down (even now) and listening to the mellow music, sipping on a hot chai latte with whip cream, glancing up now and than to watch groups of young students and busy businessmen rushing about. There are a few like me, the girl across has her computer out against the red wall with cursive lettering; she is typing. Her eyes keep referring to a book. This quite studious girl and I have come before our classes, something I do at least once a week to review the heavy load of information I have to know before my exams.
This study time has helped a tremendous amount as well, I'm top of all of my classes! Its a peaceful time, and until today, I've never gotten distracted (if you'd call this a distraction). The convenient location of only a few miles from my campus, and the volume of this place make it so ideal to learn. I've tried the library; the too quite feeling hangs all around with the occasional bust of sound that scares and distracts you for the next few minutes, along with the ex-classmates saying "hi" every once in awhile makes it almost impossible for me to get things done. earphones don't work either, because than I feel I'm in my own world and I end up watching movies or downloading music. The environment of starbucks and of other coffee shops have done my grades good.
I know I'm not alone either. I'm curious to know where other people like to study. Do you study alone? With a group? At home? In the park? What works for you?

.Stefani

3 comments:

  1. hef, i've never thought about the earphones being a problem because they take me to my own world, but you have a huge point. i'm going to try and be more aware and intentional of that. dang it though. i like to study, that is, i usually only end up studying, superbly late at night when the world has shut down and i'm...well, i suppose when i'm in my own world. it's best when there is no one around. studying is embarrassing for me or something. starbucks might work a bit, but not long term...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it works for you; I'm afraid I'd get distracted by the FOOD! I like going there with you, though . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite is, like Chris, all by myself. Sometimes I go to the library and put my earphones on with classical music playing and sit in a cubby. Within an hour I'm so antsy I can't sit still and have to leave. Maybe I'll also try a coffee shop sometime.

    ReplyDelete