Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I set my alarm for 4am a about 2 hours ago. I was initially going to skip my night shower/workout and get up an hour early to complete everything on time.

but as you can see, i am not asleep.

I find there is a pretty solid trend in my sleeping habits. The more i'm worked, the less i sleep.
Maybe because my brain is f i n a l l y working, so it takes longer to slow down. Or maybe its because my body is doing all the work the whole day, so at night my brain finally takes it's center stage role and keeps me up. Not sure. All I know is that its been consistent.
The summer I was canvassing, walking 25 miles a day, in the heat, with people... and guess what, I slept (on average) about 3 hours a night, no problems. I wouldnt fall sleep until a good hour of quite time had been completed. And before anyone else woke up, I was awake.
Three years later when I was digging in Jordan, same story. Hard manual labor, blazing sun, people all day. Lights out was 9pm, but I didn't fall asleep till after midnight. Wake up call was made at 4am, but I was already wide awake.
The last few weeks, guess what... wake up is 5am, I dont fall asleep until about 1am. I'm on my feet for an 8 hour shift, with people, and than class (or work) with more people.

I can't figure it out. I've experimented with different "good sleeping habits" like getting exercise, going to bed at the same time, not eating within 4 hours, no tv, texting, etc...

this is a rough draft, but here is what i've got

1)People make me tired while I'm with them, so when I'm alone, I need my time, so i stay awake.
2)Heat makes me groggy, I might get dehydrated a tiny bit, so my cells might metabolise and function slower. So when I cool back down, they make up for lost time, keeping my body awake before it can than "restore" itself with sleep.
3)Physical activity.. I don't really know why this would be a problem at all. ok, maybe because the more i "exercise" the more energised I become... and i guess i have lag. lol

The weirdest part about this all is that even though it sounds like i'm complaining about lack of sleep.. I'm not. To be completely truthful, I feel way more rested with THIS kind of 3-4 hour sleep, than I do with 7 hours during less hectic times.


[wow, that was really really way too long. I'm going to go take a shower now, and reset my alarm to 5am. Goodnight yo]

2 comments:

  1. I got tired just reading your blog! I'm sure you didn't get that quirk (or perk?) from me! Hope you're resting well . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. you get lag!!! bahahaha good one. energy lag. Man, Hef, this is intense. A really insightful blog, too, actually. I liked it! I don't think I share this trait with you, although I wish I did in a lot of ways. I can go for a few days with about five hours of sleep, but only if I'm super busy. And when I'm done, I'm done. No more. I'm dead. The only thing I can do when I'm freaking spent like that is go for a run in the middle of the night. The baste.

    ReplyDelete